Gaining toilet habit and toilet training
I mentioned the elimination communication principles and continuum. If your child is younger than 18 months, I highly recommend you to read that writing. Now, I want to convey my information about toilet training. Of course, elimination communication and toilet training seem really different from each other but, I think they are the supplementary processes and we should not separate them exact lines. I will share my ideas about this issue at the end of the writing.
Firstly, it is about a person who takes care of the child. Mom, dad or anybody who is responsible, has to turn the duration to an enjoyable experience. Do not think this is a challenge, this is a milestone of the child and you will just put it. If you think this is a responsibility that you have to do, your child will feel that and, become nervous. You will trigger the stressed long journey.
The general view of specialists is 18-24-month-old children are ready for toilet training physically and psychologically. Physically, they must able to use their muscles which they control their toilets. This age is changeable up to the toddler. Sometimes they became ready before 18 months or, later 24 months. And on the other hand, children feel pleasure after they realize their poops. Psychologically, they have to ready to leave from this feeling. It is important as the other step. In the absence of one of these will prolong the process.
But sometimes everything is OK and you still live problems.
Actually, you should scan the problem and then, find a solution.
It can be genetic. It can be coming from her/ his parent’s genetics. If one of them had lived a problem like these, you should think about this choice. I think you should contact a doctor or pedagogue and ask. According to the sources, it can continue up the 11 or 12. I think, in this case, parents think their children can not control the duration and try to stay stable.
The child can be exhausted and his/her sleep can be really deep. She/he can not able to wake up for the toilet. Probably, your daughter or son can not aware of bedwetting. You can awake your child at the same clock every night, at least for a while, you will not live bedwetting again. After a while, they start to get up easier for the toilet than before. Your child will control and handle this problem by ownself.
Some times the main problem can be psychological. Some children can be sensitive and they can affect easily. If they feel, they under pressure, they can not control their selves. Firstly, they have to feel confident and then know her/himself. According to me, ıf there a problem like this, trying to solve the bedwetting/day wetting problem directly won’t be the right way for the child. I strongly recommend you, ıf you live in any situation like this, you should work with a pedagogue coordinately.
Before the training
If you start the toilet training by saying “Let’s pees and poops to the toilet” in a one-day decision, it would be a failure. You should prepare your child mind and psychologically before the training planned date. If not, the process will affect both of you. You can follow those ways;
- You can tell your child after she or he poop to her/him. “Ohh, my son pooped.” This will help them to understand what they did. By the time, you can pass to the toilet in a soft way by using this. Look, everybody poop here, so you can do. Maybe, if you have enough area in your bathroom, you can clean her/him diaper after the toilet.
- At this point, I want to add something. You can say to your child that everybody poop. Mommy, daddy, grandpa.. or examples of his/her friends. It will help to understand they are not alone and, this is so normal.
- You can let her/him see you and your spouse in the toilet. A real example from the most trustable people in her life gives big confidence to them.
- Getting used to the reservoir voice is a really big step. After the poop in the bath, to the diaper, use the reservoir. Because sometimes children could afraid of the voice and left the toilet training.
- You have to follow your child’s habits well. They cannot be aware of their poops up to a certain month. But now, if she can understand the poop, she starts to straining, squatting to make it easier. Means she is ready for the toilet.
- After the previous step, you can offer to go to the toilet before or after the pooping. Be careful not while pooping.
- If they have constipation or diarrhea situation affect the situation negatively. Wait.
- Some children afraid of their own poop, do not show them.
The main steps fot toilet training
- 1. You can leave the diaper completely to make them aware of the wetting. After a while, they start to being disturbed and bonded with pee and wet. They will want to solve this problem.
*In elimination communication, the duration continues in this way, and the chıild understands more easily of coming to the pee or poo.
- Starting the training by poo is more understandable by the child. And will be a big step. The time of poo is more controllable by parents then pee.
- Start with daytime training and pass to the night.
- Firstly the child let the get wet and offer them the toilet. By the time she/he can understand the control of pee. Toilet habits begin to improve.
- After learning to control the pee in the day, you can leave the diapers at night. This will support the operation. You can use mattress cover.
I wrote parents but the main idea here is, the responsibility for taking care of the child. The attitude of them is really really important at this time. As I said, you mustn’t look at the process as a problem. This is a duration and will end. But the length of it can be change up to both of you. To be patient, calm and a smiling face is important.
Implement the elimination communication and toilet training together
Actually, I want to explain my own experience with my daughter. I wrote about the elimination communication (EC) experience here. We complete the duration by a one-week toilet training untroubled which we used EC. I tried to explain all the operations with all the details. Actually, toilet training is just a result and EC is the process to prepare the child to that result. When the EC used, the other experiences lived more effortless about the toilet. And the other side of EC, you can understand and solve your child reactions. And by EC you do not need to wait the 18th month, you will behave up to your child rhythm and move on time more effective steps.
The most important earning of my experience is we pass and finish the toilet training with any negative practice or deep marks. We gain positive and amusing experience in a short time. Of course, we live problems, and you can live too even EC. But your child who is familiar with the toilet does not focus on the toilet and its problems and handle the problem as anything about life. In other words, if he/ she does not give up eating just because of the taste of just one meal, you can succeed. In EC they get the toilet as a part of their life. The problems can really small as other things.
If you have time to start toilet training, you can start the EC before 18 months as small exercises, I strongly recommend it.
I am going to the problems with toilet training in the next days.
Thanks for reading.
Have a good day.